Sunday, February 18, 2018

Eilean Donan Castle, Scotland

I sent this card to myself when I visited Scotland in the December 2013. Edinburgh at Christmas is one of the most beautiful places I've been. There are a ton of free museums, architecture lit up at night, and you can have tea at Elephant House Cafe, the birthplace of the Harry Potter books! Not to mention the wonderful postcards. Unfortunately, I didn't actually get to see this particular castle in person although I did see Edinburgh Castle and Stirling Castle so I was not exactly castle-deprived.


Eilean Donan Castle

Photo by Marie Kerr.

Eilean Donan Castle is located in Dornie, Wester Ross, in the Scottish highlands. Eilean Donan is actually the name of the small island the castle is on, where three lochs meet.

According to Wikipedia, The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. In the early eighteenth century, the Mackenzies' involvement in the Jacobite rebellions led in 1719 to the castle's destruction by government ships. 

The existing castle is a 20th century reconstruction.


IMG_20180218_103046

The stamp is a UK Universal Mail International Postcard stamp featuring the Highland Cow and Scottish flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment