Saturday, November 19, 2011

Tatra Mountains, Poland

Tatra Mountains
PL-97799
"High Tatras: Icy Peak in the Rays of the Sun"

I LOVE this card. Exactly the type of mountain view that is my absolute favorite. There is definitely snow in the mountains around here, and we even got a tiny bit of snow last night here in Seattle. Nothing sticking to the ground, though.

The Tatras are on the border between Poland and Slovakia, and the highest part of the Carpathian Mountains. The highest peaks are actually all in Slovakia, but since this card is from Poland, that's how I filed it. Several animal species are endemic to the area, such as Tatra chamois (Rupicapra rupicapra tatrica), a type of goat-antelope which is critically endangered. The Carpathians as a whole also have the largest Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx) population west of Russia. Both Poland and Slovakia have established national parks covering these mountains, and both are part of a biosphere reserve designated by UNESCO.

I have a couple cards of Eurasian lynx. I also have Slovakian cards of the Tatras. I'll post those at some point. :)

The stamps are the same as here.

No comments:

Post a Comment