Thursday, October 21, 2010

Munich, Germany


This is the very first card I received on my second account, and I was tickled that it was from a place I've actually been to! Marienplatz is the central square of Munich, and the building in the center with the tower is the new city hall. Inside the clock tower, 43 bells and 32 life-size figures replay the story of the marriage of Duke Wilhelm V and Renata of Lorraine on the top half, and the coopers' dance on the bottom. The tradition of the coopers' dance comes from an outbreak of the plague in the 16th century. Everyone hid inside their homes to avoid infection, until the coopers came out and danced to show that it was safe to emerge. Apparently.

Anyway, I had the chance to see this little play firsthand at Marienplatz in March 2009. I stayed for 3 nights at Wombats Hostel in Munich (right next to the train station) and went on the Wombats walking city-tour. Highly recommended to anyone travelling in Bavaria!

100 Eurocent stamp featuring the bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis).

No comments:

Post a Comment